Art ♦ Painting ♦ Cooking ♦ Crochet ♦ Knitting ♦ Fashion ♦ Crafting ♦ Photography ♦ Humor ♦ Family






Saturday, August 30, 2014

A Whale of a Time...

...Splash!  I painted these little whales on an old piece of wood.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/201773087/folk-art-whales-on-wood-original?ref=shop_home_active_1
which was inspired by the little clay whales I have been making. 



 
 
I just love them.  I know the more I make the better they will get. It's been a while since I played with clay. I made cold porcelain clay from this youtube video... CliCK Here to Watch. - (sorry the video will not embed)  I, however, used Elmer's Glue-All, mineral oil and a jar of cold cream from the Dollar Store... 
1 C Cornstarch
1 C White Glue
2 TBS of Mineral Oil or Baby Oil
2 TBS of white Vinegar
1 tsp tempura paint - optional - (I omitted)
Cold Cream for kneading
 
This cold porcelain clay air dries very hard but still needs a good top coat of clear acrylic.  I tried putting it in the dehydrator just for fun and that did speed up the process and didn't crack either, just an FYI if you are in a hurry.
I made this step by step video of how I make these whales.   I haven't fully decided what I am going to do with these yet...maybe on a bottle I have previously covered in clay?... possibilities.. Frig magnets, hair barrettes, pendants, ornaments, gift tags, ... 
 

 
I hope you try making this fun clay and the little whales! I'd love to see them!
Blessings

StumbleUpon.com

No comments: